Problems with ppp

I can't get ppp started when i listed the file, it is as follows:
can you tell me why is there the dummy:No statistics available.
I am using kernel 1.3.30, ppp ver 2.2d.
What is eth0?
Thanks,
tsle

tsle:~# cat /proc/net/dev
     Inter-|   Receive                  |  Transmit
      face |packets errs drop fifo frame|packets errs drop fifo colls carrier
         lo:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0
      dummy:No statistics available.
       ppp0:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0
       ppp1:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0
       ppp2:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0
       ppp3:      0    0    0    0    0        0    0    0    0     0    0
       eth0:No statistics available.
       eth1:No statistics available.
       eth2:No statistics available.
       eth3:No statistics available.