Re: tlug-digest V1 #205

 > From: "C. Oda" <craig@example.com>
 > Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 01:43:35 +0900 (JST)
 > Subject: Redhat Installation
 >
 > After 5 failed attempts at installing RedHat 3.0.3 via FTP I gave up and
 > took the "old" way out.  I used the CD-ROM.  The big problem is that
 > I only have RedHat 2.1 on CD.  I installed just enough to get it
 > to boot.

I have just installed RedHat 3.0.3 in a new P5-133 machine here at the lab,
downloading the packages from ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp to a Sun workstation (a very
fast site; they are using well the money we pay in international calls :-),
and choosing 'install from a NFS mount'. It worked right in the first attempt!

 > At the last TLUG meeting (when are we meeting again?) I remember that
 > Jim demonstrated a rather snazzy graphical installation manager.  How
 > do I call this up?  I have the rpm command line installer, but I want
 > to install a whole load of programs all at once.  I would normally play
 > around by myself, but it is really late and I have found myself playing
 > with Linux only after midnight.

I think you are talking about this one:

glint(8)             Red Hat Commercial Linux            glint(8)

NAME
       glint  -  Graphical  Linux Installation Tool for RPM based
       systems

SYNOPSIS
       glint

DESCRIPTION
       glint is a X based interface to the RPM package management
       system.    It  provides  simple  ways  to  query,  verify,
       install, uninstall, and upgrade packages. It uses  a  file
       manager  type  interface  to  ease the navigation of large
       numbers of subpackages.

 > I would still like to install the new 3.0.3, but will settle for installing
 > it off the CD-ROM at this point.  I can't find any docs on using
 > RedHat, though their home page offers to sell it for USD 14.95.

The setup program gives you the choice to install using an X-Windows interface
(glint) or a text-based one. Either way, you just choose the packages (and
optionally the individual components) you want to install, press Return, and
wait for about half an hour.

There are Redhat 3.0.3 CDs been offered for as low as $7. You may want to
check the ads at Linux-related newsgroups. But by buying the Official RedHat
you also get an accelerated X-server (Metro-X, if I am not wrong).

 Alberto Tomita Junior     URL=http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto

 YOKOHAMA NATIONAL UNIVERSITY             tel: +81-45-335-1451  ext. 2906
 Div. of Electrical & Computer Eng.       fax: +81-45-338-1157
 156 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku              home: +81-45-743-3680 (tel & fax)
 Yokohama 240 JAPAN                       phs:    050-644-3680

 INTERNET: alberto@example.com             COMPUSERVE: 70410,67