Re: Video Cards for Linux [was OS Humor]

    Kise> Anyway, in the last message Mr. Turnbull said the Diamond
    Kise> Speedstar series are risky. That means should I get one from

The risk I'm talking about is finding a Linux driver; as far as I know
Diamond does not release the data required to write a reliable driver.
However, generic S3 (for example) drivers might work under X.  Check
the XF86config example files.

I've had Speedstars in the past and they were fine cards at a good
price---but they didn't come with Linux drivers.

    Kise> ATI? The reason why I'm asking this is my P-100 uses the ATI

I'm reasonably happy with my now rather old ATI GUP (Mach32-based).
But there are lots of great S3-based cards out there, as well as other
chipsets.

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi