Re: PPP setup

    Jim> Hi all, Hope you're enjoying Golden Week. I'm still fighting
    Jim> a losing battle with Slackware 3.0 kernal 1.3.18 on a Compaq

Ditch the 1.3.18 kernel in favor of 1.2.13, which should also be
available, unless you need a specific feature in the 1.3.x series.  An
early 1.odd.x kernal can be very risky and unstable.

    Jim> 1. man pages aren't being made available. I see links to them
    Jim> in /var/man and /usr/man et el but typing man ls returns
    Jim> nothing. Did I forget to make the man pages or something? In
    Jim> /etc/profile there is:

    Jim> export MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/user/man/preformat:/usr/man/
    Jim> :/usr/X11/man:/usr/openwin/man

Try "echo $MANPATH" (to make sure the MANPATH is set) and then "man
/usr/man/man1/ls.1" (assuming that /usr/man/man1/ls.1 exists; if not,
you've found part of your problem!)  Also "man -M /usr/man ls" should
work ("-M <path>" uses <path> instead of MANPATH, it should have the
same format).

    Jim> 2. when I try pppd chat -v etc I get the message "Sorry - PPP
[snip]
    Jim> CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
    Jim> ---snip--
    Jim> # CONFIG_PPP is not set

Yer hosed since you don't want to rebuild the kernel.

Look around in the various kernels that are supplied with Slackware
and see if you can find one that has the PPP driver in the kernel.

    Jim> Other tidbits of info are: netstats reports all systems go,
    Jim> ping localhost is no problem and Seyon dials out of X Windows
    Jim> without a hitch so the modem is OK.

Yep, you just need a kernel that does Windows^H^H^H^H^H^H^HPPP.  Ouch.
Bad joke.  Baaad Steve.  Sorry.

Slackware provides lots of kernels in the "base" series of disks and
in the "q" series.  Whether what components they have are
well-documented is another question.

You *could* theoretically build PPP as a module for that kernel, but
in my opinion this is hairier than just building a kernel (building
modules is nearly automatic when you also build the kernel but I've
found that building modules on a stnad-alone basis is more complex).

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi