re: ISDN uses for Linux [was something unrelated ;-) ]

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (27 lines follow)
Craig,
  The pickin's for shipping ATM 25 NICs that support IP over ATM, and LAN
Emulation is limited to Adaptec and IBM I believe.  Madge, ATM Ltd., First
Virtual, and others support one or another of those protocols and may be
shipping now.  Interphase, Efficient Networks Inc, and Olicomm have all
announced support for the 25.6Mbps standard and low prices ~ $300 to ~$400
when they ship.

Regarding Linux, I believe ENI is the only driver available, bit I'd check
with Werner Albergsmaier (sp?) who wrote the first Linux ATM driver I know
of.  The Adaptec ATM 25 NICs achieve 97% of theoretical TCP throughput on
Solaris and Windows NT which is about 22Mbps, so I'd hope Linux wouldn't be
any slower.  In fact, there was a discussion on the Linux ATM mailing list
awhile ago with Linus and Werner and others in discussion on how much one
could get out of 155 (Lan Times & Data Communications rate Adaptec at >
100Mbps, most others below 50Mbps).

So if you want ATM on Linux today, it might have to be 155 only, and ENI
only.  Please check and let me know if there is any new news.

ATM 25 and ATM links in general can be found from my home page
http://www.adaptec.com, hit the ATM button, and go from there to
www.whitetree.com (a maker of a relatively inexpensive 12 port ATM25/ether10
switch, with 2 option slots for 2 155 ATM hookups) for more ATM 25 info.

Ted

Original text: (30 lines follow)
To: tlug@example.com

On 27 Mar 1996 TMatsumu@example.com wrote:

>   I can't understand Ether 10/PCI mentality.  I've always been able to
> attain line speed of ATM 10 on ISA bus fine.  I'd highly recommend you do
> per port comparison and scalability review of ATM 25 before you jump out
and
> get Ether 100 nics and hubs.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but where do I get info
on ATM 25 cards, etc. that would have the Linux driver?  What
are some rough figures?  The 100Base-T solution looked pretty
cheap and also had the advantage of allowing the use of 10BaseT until
the hubs could be upgraded.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com