Re: [berman@example.com: LINUX on Alpha info]

On 26 Mar 96 11:18:00 EST
   Ted ( TMatsumu@example.com ) wrote:

> Should anyone acquire an Alpha and want to use ATM, get in touch
> with me.
>
> It would sure be a waste to connect this up with Ethernet.

Hi, Ted!

    Pardon me if I ask these questions without researching some basic
info first ( ' crashed my Linux box and can't net surf... ), but here
goes...

     1. What's the deal with Linux, Alpha, and ATM? Can you do some-
        thing like video-on-demand stuff high-speed multimedia-
        networking with Linux/Alpha/ATM (?) as the server?

     2. Why is the Ethernet connection such a waste? Is it because of
        the maximum possible 100 MHz bandwidth of Ethernet vs. the
        155 (?) MHz bandwidth of ATM? Is the Ethernet card really
        such a waste to the power of 64-bit Linux OS + 128-bit/256-bit
        Alpha machine?

     3. Do you have an access to cheap ATM hardware? If so, how much?

     Well, I'm new to Linux and everything, and still learning about
UNIX, computers, and networking... but I really wanna do something
crazy - something "otakkipoi" - like configuring a multimedia-capable
LAN in my house. Just for fun, you know. ;-)

     Any advise, help, encouragement, warning would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
George

$@%8%g!<%8(J $@%@!<%Q%H(J      George M. Dapat II