Re: X-Windows .. Colors Flashing

>>>>> Leo Glynn <glynn@example.com> writes:

   I was testing out GIMP on 8bpp  .
   When I enter the Graphics Window , My Windows outside
   change color . So when switching from Window to Window ,
   the colors "flash"

   Why is this Happening ?

This is because GIMP is allocating its own color map.  You will also
see this behavior in xv's "schnauzer" windows.  Applications with very
strong color preferences on PseudoColor visuals (ie, less than 24bpp)
will allocate their own colormap and it will be used when their key
window(s) have focus.  (xv's schnauzer gives thumbnail pix of all the
images in a directory; to compromise among many different color
schemes---each GIF is different, you know---it needs very precise
control of the colors.  I don't know why GIMP is so demanding, I don't
know what GIMP is for.)

   How do you stop this ?

Get 24bpp video.  :-)

There may be a resource, like "useOwnColormap," or menu option, that
you can set to "no."  xv will use its own colormap in ordinary image
windows if you tell it to, there's a menu which allows you to set
dithering, colormap allocation, etc.  But some applications are so
demanding, like the schnauzer, that the application presumes you are
willing to put up with the flashing.  GIMP apparently thinks that it
is the most important thing on the screen.

HTH.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi