Re: long quotes

>>>>> "A.Tomita,Jr." <Alberto@example.com> writes:

   Or add to your rc.local the following lines:
	   # Load the proper keymap
	   echo -n "Loading keymap: "
	   /usr/bin/loadkeys /usr/lib/kbd/keytables/j106-d.map

I'm glad somebody knew what to do.  I'm going to stick with my
"wetware" solution, though, since I switch among about 4 different
keyboard layouts.

Question:  if you use a Japanese keyboard layout, how do you get '~'
(ascii 0176 octal)?  Lots of my non-computer-literate friends complain
about "http://host.com/~user" URLs....

   Ted,

   it is not my intention to point out another issue on your mailer, but...
   do you always have to quote the original message when posting to this list?

This is a function of seriously buttheaded mailer design.  *Ted* never
sees them.  Of course, he can delete the damn things, but it's easy to
forget when his mailer positions his .sig at the *top* of the quoted
material, and cursor above the .sig.

Pine does this.  Pine also encourages people to leave stuff in their
spool files.  Yuck.

   May be I'm the only one subscribed to the tlug-digest, but quoting the
   entire original messages makes the digests incredible long.

Most mailers support an "undigestify" command.  This would fix your
immediate problem of paging past the stupid quote.

If you also have a download time issue, and you're paying by the
second for Ted's quoting habits, I once saw a script that checked the
message for length of quote, and if it was more than 50% quote or .sig
it mailed a message of your choice to the author of the excessive
message.  Uuencoded kernels are deprecated as overly hostile

Best solution would be to have Majordomo reject such posts.  You run a
Majordomo list, don't you, Alberto?  Check and see if you could advise
Craig on how to work that up.

By the way, is your Compuserve account really in 5+2 digit format
(check your .sig)?  I thought they were normally 5+4 digits.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi