Re: Compatibility

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (27 lines follow)
I have recently been buying up systems for our lab and upcoming trade shows.
 I've had good luck with 2 P120 / Asus Triton based systems from Cybernetech
(Yuri's company), but my co-workers want some name brands, so we picked up a
9821 DOS/V Pentium PCI, a Fujitsu FM/V 150MHz Pentium Pro.  I'm installing
Win95 and NT 3.51 workstation or server (sometimes even Nihongo version over
eigo win95) and of course they're all running ATM.

I bought a spare Asus like Triton MB at T-zone, and a co-worker of mine
knows where actual Intel brand MB w/ Triton chipsets are available in
Akihabara, not DOS/V Paradise, but across from Mitsubishi bank, some small
place.  Actually get an Intel eigo manual.  These are more, about Y 35000
though.

In all the systems, I attach a 2940 PCI SCSI adapter and a gig fast scsi
drive to capture video, which I then burn onto a Yamaha 102 CDR.  I've
ordered some Seagate Barracuda FAST WIDE 2 GIG drives that I will stripe
with our twin channel 39xx SCSI PCI card for more speed with NT server,
since disks can often not keep up with ATM speeds.

The 1 and 1.6 gb built in IDE drives are bendi for booting the necessary
SCSI drivers and acting as a temporary storage area.

Now, the Linux content:  How does one do raid striping (0 speed, not
redundance) in Linux?  Who has drivers?

Ted

Original text: (26 lines follow)
To: tlug@example.com

   >When I boot my Linux system, and type fdisk, it says "Hmmm... this
   >disk is over the 1024 cylinder limit, you could have problems."

   I believe this is historical at this point.

True; the system that does this uses an old fdisk.  However, the
attitude behind such warnings lives on: the 1.3.70 kernel warns about
P5s with the FDIV bug.  ;-) Don't buy from "Ado Denshi", they lied and
said they didn't sell any of those.  Didn't want to deal with the
return, I guess.

   (I just recently installed on a 1.6 GB (3148 cylinder) drive. <Y31,000
   in Akihabara.  Sure fills up quickly.  :-)

You betcha.  :-)  I hear Ted is giving away drives, though.  Must be
rich, that guy ;-)

Seriously, how fast?  SCSI or EIDE?  That's a good price.

Steve

Previous From: owner-tlug@example.com
Previous To: tlug@example.com