RE: Java Resources

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> That's an odd-looking path, too, since you will never be able to find
> your own variants of standard classes....  This might be a good idea,
> given the complexity of net interactions and the potential security
> risks of allowing other people to run applications on your machine,
> but seems to defeat the whole idea of path ;-)

Yea, I'm just getting started and had my own classes in the
same directory as the source.  :-)

There appears to be a -classpath flag I can also use, but
I haven't gotten the docs for the JDK yet.

For those of you wondering whether to give java a try, I
would really recommend it.  Aside from being really slow
on my 486, it is a lot of fun to play with.  Some stuff resembles
C++, but the GUI commands are as easy as Tcl/Tk.   The
error messages for the compiler are quite good.  The OOP
structure is better than C++.  I remember that last year we
had a PIGUI (Platform Independent Graphical User Interface)
TLUG meeting.  Well, IMHO Java looks like the best.  TkPerl
does not look like it is catching on.  Tcl/Tk is not fun
to play with once the program gets too long.  Anyway, none
of them are really platform independent in the way that
java appears to be.  In a word, "cool!"

I don't know about all this talk about Internet terminals,
but IMHO people will want more speed.  The java apps are
taking forever to compile on my current box.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096