Re: tlug-digest V1 #128

    Yuri> Does everybody done the linears search in Japaneese input
    Yuri> system?  What do I mean: I need to make a refference
    Yuri> database entry pointer in which moved every time I am typing
    Yuri> smth in.

Like an incremental search in a text editor (like Emacs)?

    Yuri>  It is not difficult in English, but in multiligual
    Yuri> environment, e.g. Japanese there is a phonetic input so I
    Yuri> have to care about a decision tree instead of using simple
    Yuri> linear search through the binded list.

No.  Why do you care about a decision tree?  Let the user worry about
kanji conversion.  Use Wnn or ATOK or Canna or whatever in a recursive
input buffer, then use the resulting string to search.  If you want to
do it phonetically for some reason, then you can carry the yomi along
with the key in the database.  But then you need to figure out how to
unify the yomi (variant systems of romaji, a few people will directly
input katakana or hiragana from the keyboard, zenkaku/hankaku issues),
and it would be a very inefficient method in Japanese (unless you are
implementing phonetic dictionary), since there are so many homonyms.

Of course, many people can't easily input Japanese (and it's !@#$%
impossible in Netscape, right, Craig?)

    Yuri> I do not want to invent a bicycle, besides there should be
    Yuri> some standards and I was wondering if anybody seen some srcs
    Yuri> one the net?

I'd start with the incremental search code in Mule.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi