Re: My First TLUG Meeting

In article <m0thS0s-0004RTC@example.com>,

>Emacs emulation.  JED's programming modes are built-in, and things
>like indentation and so on are often different from what I like and
>expect.  (In particular, JED likes to indent 3 spaces, while I prefer
>4.  It's also extremely insistent about where it wants to put braces.)

These are customizable.  I also use 4 by changing the definition of
C_INDENT in my jed.rc file.  C_BRACE and C_BRA_NEWLINE allow a bit of
customization for where the braces go.  At least I was able to get mine
where I want them.  :-)

>That's the other thing about Emacs.  You can use it for everything---
>it's practically a complete user interface to the computer.  If you

I occasionally use JED for access to the shell (or DOS COMMAND line).
A mail interface also exists, but I've never used it.

I really like the fact that JED will work on all of my platforms...
Linux, DOS, Windows (great implementation), and OS/2.  I used to use
EMACS on Unix and MicroEMACS on DOS/Windows... but they weren't *quite*
the same.  Now I'm not challenged by the difference.

>lead I don't think JED will ever catch up.  I don't think JED is even
>very graceful about European languages.

Although JED will let you edit 8-bit binary files... should you need
to.

>Finally, I don't like JED's scripting language.  It *looks* like C,
>but the *semantics* are like Forth (it's a stack-oriented language).

I confess I learned Forth (actually Stoic) before C.  I still use Forth
in my development work.

>programming S-Lang (JED's scripting language) because it looks
>familiar but it's not.

I guess the few limited macros and additional syntax-hilighting stuff
that I've done have been simple enough that I didn't run the risk of
getting confused.  I prefer the C-like syntax to parenthesis purgatory.

Tools are indeed highly individual, and editors are probably the most
personalized (and personalizable?) of the lot.  I've played with a lot
of different tools, have only been intrigued enough to develope "fluency"
with a few, and kept even fewer.  Its the only way to find the ones
that feel right.

Next we can discuss keyboard feel and/or layout, the only more
"personal" issue than editor selection.  :-)

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  <URL:http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/>