libc-5.2.16 header files

I managed to compile the PPP network driver with gcc 2.7.2 and
libc-5.2.16 header files.  I'm still wondering what went wrong
since I find it hard to believe that the development tools
in Slackware 3.0 could not compile the kernel.

Anyway, there seems to be a few changes to the headers found in

  /usr/include/netinet/

So if anyone is having major problems, they might want to consider
uprading the libs and headers.

One thing I had to do was to delete the old symbolic links by hand.
Is there any option to tar that will allow me to force the symbolic
links to be overwritten?  I usually use a  tar -zxvf filename -C /  and
sometimes a tar -zxvpf filename -C /

Is there a better way?

TLUG members might want to upgrade their libs anyway in preparation
for the next TLUG meeting.  The next meeting is a JAVA overview
and applet swap meeting.  Yes, we were all inspired by Jim "Mr. Java
soon to be" Tittsler's animated Tokyo PC page.  The JAVA asteroids
demo blew me away and made me think of the possibilities of JAVA.

To run the Java Development Kit you will need:

  You need a 1.2.13 or later kernel.  Kernels 1.2.12 and older seem to
  have a bug in getcwd(3) that tanks bin/javac because it doesn't check
  the getcwd(3) return code.

  o  libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.16

  o  libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11/lib/libX11.so.6.0

  o  libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11/lib/libXt.so.6.0

  o  libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11/lib/libXext.so.6.0

  o  libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11/lib/libXpm.so.4.3

  o  libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.9

Regards,
Craig

Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www2.twics.com/~craig
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
over a decade of fostering virtual communities in Japan.
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
   Phone: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096