Re: fwd: Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux...

Howdy, Ted! I have not bought a new computer yet. Here are some questions
I'd like ask.

> I hope you didn't buy yet... I just read many replies, and thought I'd
> give my 2 yen opinion, since I strongly disagree with some of the other
> replies.
>
> If you can afford it, get a Pentium 90 or faster, not because of the low
> voltage, but for the speed.  Do get EDO and pipeline cache if you can
> afford it.  Not sure where someone got the idea P90 doesn't need it.

Indeed a P-90 is better than a P-75, but since my buget is limited, I think
getting a P-75 is a good choice.

> Go SCSI, even if your motherboard has EIDE on it.  Whenever using a
> multi-tasking OS, SCSI will outperform any variety of IDE.

Well, IDE/EIDE are much cheaper than SCSI. Plus, as you and I know that
the computer technologies change extremely quickly. Perhaps by the time,
I need a new machine (686??), SCSI might be a lot cheaper. I don't mind
waitig if the performance differece between SCSI and IDE/EID is a second
or two.

> Soundblaster 16 Value is a good deal, and very compatible sound board.
If you don't mind could you name some alternative manufactures?

> Intel Triton motherboards come with Flash memory, if you require
> upgradability, review the flash upgrade page on Intels web site.  It can
> be very cryptic if you get a no-name Triton Pentium mb and need to

Are you saying that if I get a non-name Triton Pentium motherboard, and
upgrade some flash memory, I'm going to have some problems? Could you
explain little more because I don't fully understand it?

Sincerely,

Kise