Re: Please Help with FVWM

    Shige> I've been trying since last year, to get ujis.fvwmrc to
    Shige> work in fvwm.  I even went so far as getting slackware 3.0
    Shige> today so I can use the latest je binaries.

    Shige> All I get is blank spaces where Japanese is supposed to
    Shige> appear..

I don't know what "ujis.fvwmrc" is supposed to do.  You should say at
least that much unless you know it's a topic of common interest.

I would guess that what you're trying to do is use Japanese in menus
and maybe window titles (I wouldn't mind that with Netscape, to tell
the truth; I'm getting tired of that Swedish that appears instead of
Japanese!)  Possibly what is happening is that fvwm isn't finding the
right fonts.  First things to do:
    (0) I assume that Japanese works everywhere but fvwm ....
    (1) Even if it does, it is not necessarily true that ujis.fvwmrc
        uses your preferred fonts.  Try changing the fonts specified
        there.
    (2) check the console (probably Ctrl-Alt-F1) for error messages.
        if that's not where your console lives, try looking in
        /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog (these may live in
        /var/adm if you're not FSSTND-compliant).  They may be quite
        big, I suggest using "tail -100 /var/log/messages | less",
        then truncating the log files :-)
    (3) try removing fvwm from .xinitrc, and put an xterm or kterm as
        the last thing.  (This is essential, or you'll never be able
        to open a window!)  Now run fvwm from that xterm (don't kill
        that xterm or you'll kill your X server too).  This allows you
        to play with your fvwm settings without killing the X server
        (you can do that with the Restart fvwm menu item) and see the
        fvwm error messages (if any) in the xterm (you can't do that
        without switching virtual consoles with Restart).

The next possibility is that ujis.fvwmrc requires patches to fvwm.
This seems unlikely, but I know that X11R4 and maybe X11R5 permitted
implementations to handle 8 and 16 bit fonts with different calls.
Maybe fvwm simply doesn't understand 16 bit fonts without patches.
Have you read that configuration file through?  Often such information
doesn't make it into readmes (disgustingly enough).

Where do I get ujis.fvwmrc?  Maybe I'll play with it....  Good luck.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi