Re: tlug-digest V1 #49

You won't have trouble getting a 4mm DAT from any of the major Nihon
distributors, CTC/Itochu, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Nihon Unisys, Nissho, Nihon Sun,
Nihon SunExpress, NTT PC, etc., I would be very surprised if Tskuba didn't
buy from one of these vendors already.

It's true that DAT backup hasn't hit the streets of Akihabara like Sega and
Nintendo, and the various MO vendors yet.  But why trust your data to Mario?
;)

*****
Ted Matsumura, Adaptec Japan ATM Program Manager
InterNetworking Technology (INTO)
Adaptec Japan Ltd.
(03) 5276-8433 (Voice)
(03) 5276-9364 (Fax)
tmatsumu@example.com
http://www.rahul.net/tedm
*****
-------------
Original Text
>From owner-tlug@example.com, on 10/2/95 11:03 AM:

    Ted> Although ZIP, JAZZ, MO 128, 230, 650MB, re-writable CD are
    Ted> all great storage mediums, don't forget 4mm DATA DDSII DAT.
    Ted> It's the standard for client server backup, thought it's
    Ted> not taken off in Japan,
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which is the problem with it from my perspective.  I've got one on one
of my machines because the techs who were helping order the lab server
wanted to play with it.  We don't have anything to back up yet; if we
ever do, I'll have to get another one for safety, since I can't count
on colleagues to have one.  I also won't necessarily be able to take
the machine with me if I move.

The price of the media tells you what Japanese in general think of it.
(Last I checked it was 4000 yen even in 10 tape cartons.)  Japanese
seem to prefer paper and floppy archives still....

    Ted> If you have data that you want to keep for < 5 years, don't
    Ted> need it mountable as an on-line storage source, you should
    Ted> consider DAT.

You are absolutely right.  It *is* worth a thought, and the specs on
capacity are awesome.  We were discussing more or less randomly
accessible media for personal backup though, and in that case one can
be more selective usually.  Few of us generate files on a monthly
basis greater than 230MB, and we'd like faster access to individual
files.  (Good grief, Ted, what are you moving in those quantities?
Erotic binaries?  The entire Usenet feed?  Training movies?)

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi