Re: Slackware 2.3 CD-ROM

On Sat, 15 Jul 1995, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Do you know how far they (Walnut Creek) lag the originals?  Two years
> ago their Simtel CD lagged Simtel by about 6 months.  What was the
> price for the CD set?

Price was 2,400 yen.  Kernel was 1.2.8.  Gcc was 2.6.3  Slackware
version was 2.3 which is pretty recent if not the most recent one.
Nori is running Slackware 2.2 and when he got it off the net it
was the most recent one.
Summer issue of Red Hat CD-ROM was about 1,900 yen.

> Is that SCSI or IDE?  Not a bad price; it's about what Dirt Cheap
> drives was asking for Quantum SCSI drives in March Computer Shopper.

This was a Quantum E-IDE.  I don't have SCSI   :-(

Re: about the lag in telnet

Thanks for the advice.  This was due to a careless error I made
in the routing.  It is working fine now.

Re: partitions

I bought the 810 meg disk to replace a 202 and 340 meg disk hobbled
together.  I think I had about 6 Linux partitions.  I eventually
ran out of space in /usr/ because I added too many libs for trivial
programs.  This time I thought that I would make a large partition
for most of the distribution and have seperate partitions for /usr/local
and /home.

Still, this idea of a small 10 meg partition for root sounds safer
and easier to do backups.  I may experiment some more.

I just got the August 1995 issue of _Linux Journal_ in the mail.  I have
not got a chance to read it yet, but there seems to be quite a few
pages on Perl.  When I was over at Nori's office I saw him working
with Perl 5 "patch level m" and it seemed to be working a lot better
than when I tried it a few months ago.  Evidently the "m" patch must
have fixed some things.

I also noticed that O' Reilly published a new book on Bash, 350 pages
"covering everything from the most basic to the most advanced features,
like signal handling and command line processing."  This looks like
a good one for me since I find it hard to find stuff in the existing
Bash docs.  Those O' Reilly editors really spend a lot of time on
organization, indexing, table of contents, etc...  I hope they keep
up the level of quality for this new book.

---  Craig

     Craig Oda      12 40 82 A8 DF DD DD 30  BB 0E 26 22 E0 D8 F2 87
     craig@example.com      Public Key: finger craig@example.com
     phone: +81-3-3351-5977                   fax: 81-3353-6096
     Twics / IEC Building / 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 Japan
     Now accepting resumes by postal mail.  CS or engineering degree required.
     send me e-mail for additional requirements.