[LINUX:112]

RE:  wallpaper type background.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean.  I've been using xv to do it, but
there are other programs as well.  The line in my .twmrc goes like...
(actually, it's all one line, but I broke it up for twics)

"Fractals"    !"nice xv -stdcmap -viewonly -root -rmode 5
`randfile ~/pictures/Fractals`&"

Which means...

A menu heading "Fractals", when selected executes xv (with flags) as a nice
process (i.e., with a lessened priority so as not to slow down the system).
The picture xv displays is the return from `randfile ~/pictures/Fractals`.
And the whole thing is done a a background process & so as not to stop
twm from running while its doing it's thing.

Many of the pictures I have are quite large (1152 X 900) (this is a standard
resolution for Sun machines).  So they tend to take a few seconds to come
up, or if they're jpeg they can take even longer due to the decompression
time.

The xv flags are:

-stdcmap:  use only colors in the colormap that aren't being used

-viewonly:  don't bring up the xv control panel stuff

-root:  on the background screen

-rmode 5:  when in the xv control panel there are different options (tiled,
centered tiled, centered warp, etc).  This chooses which one.  NOTE:  I
think it skips the first 1 (or 2) so this is actually the 6th (or 7th) in
the list

Enjoy,

Rainer
a.k.a.