Re: [tlug] CJK Input Methods

On 2024年07月06日 11:12, the silly Yasuaki Kudo claimed to have said:
> Hello!
>
> I use Ubuntu as my primary work computer and it works well but there is one problem, the Japanese input.
>
> I don't type Japanese often so I can get by with the really poor quality of Mozc in Ubuntu (latest version) .  But it makes me wonder how Japanese input compares to Chinese and Korean.   I want the Javanese input in Linux to work normally like Windows or IPhone, so we don't even need to talk about it!
>
> I don't speak either Chinese or Korean so I don't know how they compare in complexity.
>
> Nevertheless I am curious what their situations are for non-proprietary input methods?
>
> After reading the article below, I thought Japanese input software development is potentially a very good thing to start.   But to do so with people power, one probably needs to make it possible to distribute the work to hundreds of thousands of volunteers?
>
> The article I found describing the current state of affairs (in Japanese):
>
> https://chienomi.org/articles/linux/202301-mozcdic-ut-mozcdict-ext.html
>

> -Yasu

The biggest problem is that mozc is by far the best for Japanese input,
and at the same time the biggest pain in the ass to compile from source,
which is not for you to worry about anyway.

But since I use OpenBSD as my daily driver and some more obscure Linux
distro like CRUX, mozc has become out of the question for me.
So nowadays I'm using Fcitx as the frontend, and Anthy as the engine.
Anthy itself is pretty much vaporware, but the Fcitx team still
maintains it unofficially.

My experience with Anthy is that it's absolutely horrible.
For example, if I write 値段が高い, I'd often get 値段が他界 instead.
If I write 頭が痛い, I'll often get 頭が異体, so it's terrible at
guessing what I mean, which I never had with mozc.
But at least it's not proprietary, and available on all POSIX systems I
care about.
And Anthy is perhaps the 2nd best I have worked with, because other
alternatives are even worse.

--
lain.
PGP public key: https://fair.moe/lain.asc