Re: [tlug] Retirement, part 1: Domains

On 2024年06月03日 16:03, the silly Stephen J. Turnbull claimed to have said:
> Hi, everybody!
>
> After 39 years as a professor, I retired from the University of
> Tsukuba at the end of March.  First, for some reason my university
> domain turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp still works, but I'll lose the
> physical hosting soon, and plan to register a couple of domains and
> use a Linode or Digital Ocean droplet.  onamae.com looks like the
> cheap, fast, reasonably good registrar.  Does anybody know different?
>
> Second, about email addresses.  The department allows me to use
> <turnbull@example.com> because I'll be teaching as an adjunct in
> the fall, and that is presently my preferred address until I get a VPS
> working.
>
> Steve

Yes, I used onamae.com before.
They are indeed really cheap, but transferring domains out to any
different registrar is a total pain in the ass.
And there are annoyances, like whenever you login, it'll remind you to
renew your domains even if you already renewed until like 2030 or
something.

I would rather recommend gonbei.jp, they are considerably more
expensive, but their support is pretty good.
However, the one annoyance is that whenever you want to reply to their
support tickets, you need to submit a new ticket altogether for whatever
reason.

A popular option for foreigners is jp-domains.com.
The website might come over as some kind of Indian scammer website, but
they are legit.

--
lain.
PGP public key: https://fair.moe/lain.asc