Re: [tlug] Need laptop vendor recommendation

Unless you're planning on running the latest AAA games or Windows in a
VM, these specifications might be way too overkill considering your
budget.
You might want to look at Linux laptop makers, which commonly sell high
end laptops with Linux pre-installed, and at the same time never tend to
have anything for those of us who prefer the Japanese keyboard.
For example:
https://system76.com/laptops-powerful
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-t4-gnulinux-laptop
https://jp.starlabs.systems/pages/starbook
https://frame.work/products/laptop-diy-13-gen-intel/configuration/new?variant_id=400
https://slimbook.es/en/store/slimbook-kde/kde-slimbook-16-comprar

Framework and Slimbook seem to come closest to both your specifications
and budget, and the biggest selling point of Framework is that it's very
easy to repair, and every component is easily user swappable.
The downside is that they don't ship to Japan yet, so you might need
some person in the middle in a western country to forward the laptop to
you.

Or the alternative is to consider what you need the laptop for, and
perhaps lower your requirements, and maybe your choice of software too
to create more choice.
I'm still using a Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD machine I
bought 15 years ago as my daily driver, which still handles everything
I need perfectly fine.
Then again, it depends on what you use your laptop for.
This is fine if you're a software developer, but if you play the latest
AAA video games, or do any graphics or video editing, or Javascript
frameworking, this might be far too underpowered for today's standards.

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html