[tlug] Please consider offering a friend to install Linux.

Hoi tlug,

the other week a friend was about to buy new hardware to replace a
Fujitsu laptop from 2017.

20 years ago we had Linux install parties, where people brought in their
hardware to get Linux installed.  Things have improved since then, and
clearing a harddisk and installing Linux is now easy - but resizing an
existing Windows and installing Linux additionally is still a challenge
[*].

So we disabled Secure boot, shrunk the windows partition, installed
the LXDE spin of a distro - and tasks like web browsing, skype via web
browser and so on are reasonably quick again on the hardware.

If you are able to install Linux and maybe help with some basic
questions, please consider to help people around you.
Sharing is caring.

[*] I guess a 'try to resize Windows and install Linux'-button
    would have to deal with to many potential situations.. so it will
    then stay with having someone attest their specific situation
    and requirements, and manually resize.

cheers,
Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index