Re: [tlug] Running from USB memory stick (hardware issues)

On 3/4/21 5:44 PM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
I've discovered in running some old laptop computers from Linux on a USB memory stick that it seems to be manufacturer specific:

I've gone through this several times -- I think we all have. Every machine I've done this on has been different.

What seems to work best for me (assuming we're trying to boot a windows machine with a linux thumb drive) is to shut the machine down (not restart but shut-down), press the power button and after a short time (maybe a second) insert the drive.

I'm currently trying to install on a new lenovo laptop , UEFI, Bitlocked with one of the nve drives and in that case, you have to disable the bit-lock, make sure legacy is on and the legacy device is first to boot and secure boot is off and then cross your fingers.

One thing about the lenovo that I hadn't seen before that helped is that it has both a bios sequence (F2 for this machine -- Ive also seen delete and f10 depending on mfg) and this has a boot select menu (f12 during startup).  Sometimes it doesn't see the thumb drive and sometimes when that happens, un-pluging and pluging back in will make it appear.

As to the HP, look through the OS.  There should be a model number somewhere in there.

Hope this helps.

Steve S.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index