Re: [tlug] vi weird when I ssh to one machine

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 05:28:25PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Christian Horn writes:
>  > On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 09:39:48PM +0000, Darren Cook wrote:
>
>  > > But when I ssh to a server which was set up as a desktop (Mint, Xfce),
>  > > vi is then weird. I get all sorts of escape sequences appear

> Of course, then the question is where TERM gets set.  I don't
> understand why a terminal would work with local output, but not with
> output forwarded by SSH.
> Steve

We have a couple of internal FreeBSD servers that are pretty old, but then,
I'm pretty old too. <sigh>. I now work from from home (see part about being
old), and at home, $TERM is rxvt-unicode-256-color. However, when ssh-ing
to these machines, I first set it as TERM=vt100, otherwise I get various
error messages, more annoying than anything else. If I change nothing and
ssh into these machines and echo $TERM I just get a blank line, so not
really sure is happening. Regardless, for these older machines, setting
TERM to vt100 or even xterm usually is sufficient. Once I've ssh'ed in
though, it is sometimes too late. (I forget the exact details, think it
works on one but not on some others, or something like that.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6