Re: [tlug] No sound with HDMI connection

I don't know about Mint specifically, but most Linuxes these days use
PulseAudio. Sometimes, if you run "pavucontrol" you can fix problems
like this. My media PC occasionally has an issue similar to what you
describe. The fix for me has been to run pavucontrol then click the
Configuration tab and then choose a Profile that lists the HDMI output.
Try a few different Profiles and maybe one will work.

If you find a working Profile, remember which one it is for when you
have to do this again--every so often PulseAudio will automatically
switch itself to a broken Profile, so one has to go in and fix it again.
This is normal/expected behavior when using PulseAudio, though i have
not yet figured out why such behavior is desirable.

On 11/30/20 4:20 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good evening
> Maybe this is not the "right" place to ask, but I dare asking anyway.
>
> I playing with an old workstation: Dell Precision 3500 with 12 GB RAM
> and a Xeon processor (I don't remember the details).
> I connected this machine, on which I first installed Linux Mint 20 on an
> SSD to a TV set to read books in bed (I know, I should not do that!).
> The TV has no other input.
> The computer has no other monitor.
> The TV displays movies/videos (for fun) just fine, but only the built-in
> speakers of the PC are working.
> Under "sound" those are the only listed output device and I was not able
> yet to get the TV listed there.
>
> I searched the net and found, that this seems to be a widespread problem
> for which SOMETIMES highly complex
> solutions requiring a thousand "sudo something" commands, reconfiguring
> system files etc. are listed.
> But often those "solutions" do not work.
> I tried updating, switching back to 19.3, also the alsa force-reload
> command (something that helped before with no sound on a note PC) etc.
> So far, I have no luck.
>
> On a Windows 7 note PC I connect the cable to the TV, switch the input
> method and that's it.
>
> I was wondering .. is there a SIMPLE method to fix this.
> I mean, something even a "non-computer nerd" like me could manage to
> achieve?
> It would be wonderful, if there were.
> If not, I will just forget the entire idea.
>
> Thank you
> Thomas
>
> .

__
Daniel Ramaley
Server Engineer 2, Information Technology Services
Drake University

T: +1-515-271-4540
W: https://www.drake.edu/its

Home | Main Index | Thread Index