Re: [tlug] Introduction to (Tech) Worker Cooperatives, 09:00AM on Sunday, July 12th JST

Benjamin Kowarsch writes:
 > On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 at 03:00, Stephen J. Turnbull <
 > turnbull.stephen.fw@example.com> wrote:

 > > That may be their business model, but of course for-profit companies
 > > try to keep their customers satisfied too!  There are many capitalist
 > > firms whose business models are based in multiple kinds of
 > > stakeholder.  In the US, IBM was an example in the late 1960s and
 > > 1970s ....

 > In the banking industry (as well as in many other industries) there has
 > been much consolidation and that has led to worse and worse service
 > for locals especially in smaller towns or villages.

Yes, yes, conceded.  (You're repeating yourself, by the way.  At great
length. :-/ )

Doesn't address my point, which is basically "even capitalists have
some good intentions, but power corrupts, and it's arguable that the
only good thing about coops is they have no power, even if you collect
them all together."

For coops to do lots of good, they have to have lots of power.  So
far, your arguments about coops doing good reduce to "they're too weak
to do much harm."

Given the number of hungry kids in Japan and the US, not to mention
the rest of the world, I'm more ambitious for good than that.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index