Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 09:38:34 +0900
- From: Mattia Dongili <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20191012221617.GA1359@fluxcoil.net>
- User-agent: Mutt/1.10.1 (2018-07-13)
On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 12:16:17AM +0200, Christian Horn wrote: > I hope all safely survived, > > On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 04:45:14PM +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote: > > On one of my "experimental machines" I have Linux Mint 19, Cinnamon edition, > > installed in a 500 GB HDD WITHOUT partitions. > > > > IF I wanted to create a new 100GB partition, would it be possible to just > > "copy" or "move" the file system to that new partition, > > designate it somehow as "/" and keep the data in /home? > > Or: newly install the OS in the created 100 GB partition and then delete it > > is somehow from the resized data partition? > > Using just the disk, not impossible but so complex that personally I > would try the procedure with a virtual guest before doing it with the > real system. > > The simpler way is to use some other disk or USB stick as buffer, make > a backup of the current system with tar and restore it from the buffer > media after creating partitions on the disk. > > The even simpler way would be to also do a backup, not restore the > whole Linux installation from the backup but reinstall the Linux > distro, and afterwards just restore /home . Either way (complex or simple solution) you'll want to back up your data. Once you have that, it's all about the amount of time you want to spend tinkering with tools like dd and block devices. -- mattia :wq!
- [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- From: Thomas Blasejewicz
- Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- From: Christian Horn
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Move the OS to a different partition?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links