Re: [tlug] File-sharing

On 2019-06-12 10:01 +0200 (Wed), Jens John wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019, at 14:12, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > What do they offer in terms of backup and failover solutions?
>
> I'm using a Synology appliance at home with RAID1. Their appliance
> OS is pretty good and is built with points such as this in mind,
> that is, offsite backups can be made automatically to rsync servers,
> public clouds etc...

Yes, but backup of course is only half (or usually less than half) the
solution. Assuming Martians came and took away your appliance, what
would be the steps to getting everything up and running again, and how
long and how much effort would it take?

(This is where Dropbox-like sync systems come in handy; a complete
server loss can generally be mitigated by having another server
elsewhere ready to spin up and a cold or hot (depending on your
required restore time and how much you're willing to spend)
backup/sync of the full data set from the original server.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.