Re: [tlug] reliable mail service provider...

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019, at 10:02, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> 1) is there anything I can do on my side to remedy the issue ?

When sending mail to the big hosters (Gmail, Microsoft, …) you almost always want to have the following in addition to TLS-secured submission and server IPs that are not on a DNS blacklist:

- SPF records, implementable by the domain owner.
- DKIM signing, implementable only by the mail server owner and the domain owner in cooperation in a stable fashion (you could submit only signed email, signing it locally, but the server may mangle the email body rendering the signature invalid).
- DMARC records, implementable by the domain owner, can be used with only SPF too.

Save a DNS blacklist, this will improve deliverability in almost any case.

> 2) if not, do you know reliable service providers where I can put my
> domain name, my web, my mails, etc. ?

I use Fastmail, but their service is not without issues too (albeit they also host my domain's DNS and thereby handle SPF/DKIM fairly well).  The biggest issue is that for years, their DMARC record has been very broken. The issue has been blogged about, you can google it. The good parts about them are, for me: Their webmail interface, their webmail calendar, stable and standardcompliant IMAP.

Because you explicitly named it: you can also host your website with them (FTPS + WebDAV + web UI for uploads, website hostable with SSL). They are not a registrar though. You can use their nameservers for best integration results with your domain (custom subdomains, automatic SPF/DKIM records), but you need to register the domain elsewhere.

Another issue is the new Australian privacy law, which can or can not be an issue for you.