[tlug] Any WiFi dongles available in Japan that work with Ubuntu 18?

I got this Wavlink AC600 WiFi USB dongle from Amazon Japan because it was one of a few that mentioned it supported Linux. Unfortunately though I have been unable to get it to work.

The device is reported as MediaTek MT7610 for which there is a driver available on the MediaTek (formerly Ralink) website. However, the driver was written for Linux kernels 2.4 and 2.6 and when compiling there are tons of errors.

There are several forks of the driver with patches applied for newer kernels and I tried as many as I could find but none works. The last one I tried is hosted on Github and under issues I can see the same problems I encountered having been reported and they are open issues and have been open without any activity for several months, so I am not going to hold my breath that this will get fixed.

I'd rather buy a different Wifi dongle. However, I don't fancy trying out dongle after dongle until I get lucky.

Can anybody recommend a WiFi dongle that they use with the 4.15 kernel? Ideally if somebody could recommend one that works out of the box on Ubuntu 18.04 with stock drivers, that would be terrific thanks.