Re: [tlug] FreeBSD-11, Firefox, and fcitx-mozc

Curt Sampson writes:

 > I have no advice on your particular problem, but I am interested as to
 > why you chose LC_CTYPE to set as opposed to, say, LANG.

Setting LANG changes stuff like date formats and yes/no; one gets in
the habit of avoiding any POSIX locale nonsense.

 > LC_CTYPE deals only with character classfication; typically I think
 > you'd want to set LANG and let LC_* inherit from that (and, if
 > you're a very numerical guy like me, set LC_CTYPE=C to get
 > ASCII/UNICODE sorting order on everything).

I don't know about "modern" systems, but LC_CTYPE=C on older systems
doesn't give ASCII/Unicode sorting, it gives byte-order sorting.
That's not good if you have non-ASCII data, although most of the time
it sort of works.

Granted, it's unpleasant when you shoot yourself in the foot with
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 and discover that "ls [a-z]*" does the wrong
thing.