Re: [tlug] Best communications-enabled, efficient visit

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Joe Larabell <fred62@example.com> wrote:
> ... Of course, now that almost everyone uses one or the other, there aren't
> usually any lines in front of the ticket machines, if you really wanted to
> keep doing things the old way. The only downside is when you're with other
> people who look at you askance for making them wait while you buy a ticket
> ;-).

And there's one other thing.  Since most people are using some sort of
IC embedded card or device (cell phone, etc.) to enter the train
system, there are fewer and fewer of the automatic ticket gates that
will accept mechanical tickets.  Many stations now primarily have
ticket machines that *only* have a touch pad, and you can't enter the
system via one of those gates, and have to watch out for the machines
that will accept paper tickets mechanically.  Unless you're doing it
for nostalgic reasons (which is reason enough) then I'd definitely go
with an IC card for the trains (and convenience stores, grocery
stores, etc.).

Lyle