Re: [tlug] Japanese input method

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
> The input seems to be working (not yet extensively tested), but I DO NOT
> get any indication showing the current input method.
> Clicking on the little keyboard icon in the right lower corner DOES
> switch between "keyboard" and "mozc", but this has absolutely no effect
> on the input method. I chose to switch between roman letters and
> Japanese using the "zenkaku/hankaku" key (I am used to that from Windows).
>
> Is there any way to tell the computer that I would like to see the
> "mozc" icon whenever I use Japanese.
> I tried all sorts of settings under "configure", but so far none had any
> effect.

This problem happens with me, or at least, something that sounds like
what you're experiencing.

I haven't bothered trying to figure out what's wrong, though.

For me, when I switch between English and Japanese, the icon changes,
but like you, I'm not entering text in Japanese when the icon changes
to Japanese.  For me (on Ubuntu 15.04), I have to change the "Input
Mode" from "Direct Input" to "Hiragana" before I can enter in
Japanese.  Occasionally, this happens to me with Windows, too.  That
is, I switch the IME to Japanese but have to perform an extra step to
switch the default of direct input to hiragana.

I guess the "fix" would be to change Hiragana to the default input
method for Japanese.  I haven't figured out how to do that.

Not sure if this is the same problem you're experiencing...  And yes,
I didn't really bother looking for a solution.  I don't type Japanese
often enough now to bother me...but a solution would be nice.  Just to
prove I'm not a mindless slave to the GUI.  :-)

Ray