Re: [tlug] Any recommendations for cheap reliable external storage?

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 04:20:20PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> I'm looking for external storage of 5-10 TB, USB or Ethernet
> interface, among (cheap, reliable, fast) I guess reliable beats cheap
> by a head, with fast well back in the pack.  Needs to work and play
> nicely with Linux, and I may want to move it to a Mac Mini server
> (don't ask) in the future.  RAID and non-RAID recommendations welcome.

Sounds to me like
- 2 harddisks, connected via usb3 directly to the system
- A filesystem ontop, which is also supported by macosx,
  maybe ext3 or 4?
- Would mirroring instead of RAID be ok?
  On macosx, rsync should then be able to mirror between 2 mounted
  filesystems.
  On linux, something getting informed more directly about changes
  like inotify could be used for more efficiency

Chris