Re: [tlug] procfs pseudo-file without a module load?

As can so often happen writing an email helped me think of a new way to investigate the issue. And it turns out the answer must be no, you can't fiddle with the entries under /proc/<pid> directories.

The reason is that although I had read in kernel source such things as "The idea is to create an in-memory tree ... of these proc_dir_entries, so that we can dynamically add new files to /proc." (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/fs/proc/internal.h ) I have since found the pseudo-files there are fixed once a kernel is compiled. The array "tgid_base_stuff" in fs/proc/base.c that is used to create the inode entries in /proc/<pid> directories is a fixed size. There is no opportunity to add to it in runtime,  module or not.

Time to fall back to plan B for my free hacking time.
Cheers,

Akira