Re: [tlug] What is Code?

Hello Raymond!

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Claus Aranha <caranha@example.com> wrote:
>
> Here in Hong Kong, they've just started the "Hour of Code" [1] -- an
> event or "movement" (???) that started in the USA, I think.  Anyway, I
> went to one session and they used CodeCombat [2].
>
> Just a suggestion...but I thought it was pretty fun and if there is no
> lecturing, it's probably better than questions from programming
> marathons.

Well, there is a minimum of lecturing (examples in class), but yeah, that is not
supposed to be the point of the course.

I will certainly take a look at CodeCombat.

> I can see the value in programming marathons, but it's almost like
> taking someone with no Japanese ability (for example) and throwing
> them in a small town in Japan.  Or throw them into a baseball game and
> not tell them any rules.  Maybe some will learn Japanese or baseball,
> but many might be discouraged...

Well, if you take a random person and throw them in Japan, sure. But
if the person
is actually interested in learning Japanese in the first place...

Thanks for the links!