[tlug] Software center gone

Good evening
Since my crash, with which I bothered everybody here,
and my partially successful resurrection of the machine,
I noticed, that the Software Center does not work any more.

When I try to start it, I get the familiar screen asking me to enter my password,
and then nothing.

I tried, apart from rebooting, Package Manger to "uninstall" mintinstall - does not work, get the below copied error.
An attempt at "reinstallation" fails with the same error.

Does this mean anything to anybody?
Is there a way to fix it?
Or do I really have to reinstall everything from scratch?
(Just because I scratched my head next to the computer? Sounds like a rather poor performance to me ...)

Somebody suggested, there might be some process still running, probably some sort of network process. Could this be the culprit (also) resonsible for the long startup time?

Thank you.
Thomas

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
(synaptic:2778): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
Setting up install-info (5.2.0.dfsg.1-2) ...
/etc/environment: line 2: MUFFIN_NO_SHADOWS: command not found
dpkg: error processing package install-info (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
 install-info
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover: