Re: [tlug] Dell M3800/Ubuntu

On 1 February 2015 at 10:36, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
> I just ordered a Dell M3800 (the new hardware refresh with Thunderbolt
> and 4K HD display) with pre-installed Ubuntu 14.04, to take the place of
> my HP Envy 15, which will be going on to a new life displacing my dad's
> Linux desktop (well, mid-tower) machine. I've read that Thunderbolt
> doesn't work yet, but will in the next 14.04 service pack. It'll be the
> best part of a month before it's actually in my hands, but I'll post a
> report back here after it arrives.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. I looked at it a while
back, but it was waaay beyond what I was/am prepared to pay. Dell
is currently asking $A3,699, and for me that's about $3k too much. For
now I'm sticking with my 5yo Compaq CQ61, on which I blew $699.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University