Re: [tlug] Is Japan closer to U.S. or ...?

On 2014-12-22 17:17 +0900 (Mon), Curt Sampson wrote:

> RTT to the Singtel IX is about 70 ms. over NTT, which is what most
> providers are using for transit to Singapore. US west coast tends to be
> around 100 ms. more, so Singapore is probably the better option.

Oops. That was a bad typo. It should have been "or more," not just
"more"; i.e., a 30 ms. difference.

On 2014-12-22 19:59 +1100 (Mon), Jim Breen wrote:

> And which applications running over TCP do you think perform
> perceptively better with a 30ms shorter RTT?

Some web sites might, depending on how well they're optimized. The
Internet isn't limited to TCP-based applications, of course, and I have
experience demonstrating that some on-line games perform noticably
better.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974