Re: [tlug] Providers ratings

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Pier Fumagalli <pier@example.com> wrote:
> I've come to the end of the contract with Asahi.NET, and while I was very
> happy with them over the course of the past few years, I wonder if there's
> something "better" out there.

Define "better", without quotes.
Was there anything you were not happy with your current provider?

If you cannot define "better" yourself, don't spend time on looking for it!

> Does anyone have pointers with regards to actual bandwidth and latency for
> providers over here in Japan, and especially data regarding international
> peering and whatnot?

Are you interested in peering with Zimbabwe or USA? Or both? And some
other countries?

> I've tried the usual Google method, but nothing came up that actually
> "quantifies" and compares different providers.

May there isn't?

> If there's nothing out there, would you folks be interested in helping to
> get some data? It should just be as easy as hitting a few servers on
> "speedtest.net" and filling in a little Google Docs form or something like
> it!

Yeah, sure. Let's do it! Once? Twice? On Sunday? Night/day? Test to where?

I am using Asahi-net since around 2001 on more accounts that I
remember (have 2 FTTH lines,  1 LTE, 2+ WiMax) and I have not seen
anything better, if you walk down the run-a-server at home path. If
you are planning to just leech torrents, or stream Skype - I don't
know, there is a slight chance others may be better.

Cheers,
Kalin.