Re: [tlug] Laser printer for Linux

On 11/21/2014 10:59 AM, rost52 wrote:
I need to buy a new printer and consider to get a small color laser printer.

I appreciate information about which maker provides for which laser printer Linux drivers. Any
additional comment and hint is highly appreciated as well.

Regards,
Reinhold

The hplip printer drivers which HP provides, maintains, and upgrades work with all HP offerings, including their laser, inkjet, and fax products. I use two HP inkjets, both as LAN and wireless printers and as fax. Drivers just work with Debian right out of the box and the online walkthrough gives you all of the alternative commands you need in case the installation does not proceed exactly as advertised. That happened to me on the first try but the issues were easily fixed with minimal extra effort.

HP customer service is excellent. I bought a device whose color touch screen went wonky after about six weeks. They replaced the unit and took the broken one back at their expense. The downside of HP products is that, even though they're reasonably priced, the ink / toner cartridges are 100% proprietary and I have yet to find a shop anywhere in Kanto that discounts them. YMMV.

--
CL