Re: [tlug] Cinnamon has crashed

> The problem is that while I understand in principle stuff like
> partitions, I have no idea where to start sorting it out...

Did you get as far as being sure what the problem is?

(I suggested booting a mint 17 install DVD, as that will run Mint and be
usable, without touching the hard disks, but will also allow you to
explore the hard disks if you want (e.g. to see what corruption has
happened). It will also allow you connect to the internet, so you can be
sure everything is fine on the hardware side.)

That would also allow you to take a backup of your files. And then I'd
just suggest re-installing Mint 17, then bring back your files
afterwards. Fixing low-level config is time-consuming, otherwise.

Darren