Re: [tlug] USB3 hard disks

> According to Wikipedia, [1] the transfer speed of USB 3.0 is 5 Gbps
> (gigabits), so if the source drive can read at 2.5 Gbps and the target
> drive can write at 2.5 Gbps, you can expect a minimum time of 54.61 minutes.

Josh, out of interest, why did you go from 5 Gbps to 2.5 Gbps? (The wiki
page pointed out that USB3 is full-duplex).

Generally, I think what impressed me about USB3 hard disks is what the
wiki article said: it is 20 times quicker than USB2. But it is also 5
times quicker than gigabit ethernet, which would partly explain why it
feels so much quicker than network storage.

(I'm assuming all the real-world inefficiencies apply to all three, so
USB3 is still 5x and 20x quicker.)

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!