Re: [tlug] Limits on file numbers in sort -m

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
Jim Breen writes:

 > That's pretty much my understanding of it. It would be ultimate silliness to
 > have read-only input pages end up replicated in swap.

I'm not thinking about swap, I'm counting syscalls, which are quite
expensive in this kind of application.

Could you precise again "which kind of application"? A syscall is difficult to track,
except when following them (which is very difficult, but possible).
Using buffered I/O is to avoid syscalls.

You need the counts?  In that case I guess you do need the special-
purpose tool (although it would be interesting to add it to uniq
itself, this is likely a recurring use case).

uniq -c does it. Or I did nor understand your comment. Or did not understand anything
on the issue, which is possible too.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.