Re: [tlug] Poll: OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

On 2014-05-19 at 19:37:41 Simon Cozens wrote:
> TeX is for the humanities too!

When i was taking art history classes i would do all my papers in LaTeX.
The professor even commented a couple times how much nicer my papers
looked than everyone else's. One can usually tell at a casual glance
whether something is written in Word or LaTeX. I don't know all the
technical graphic design terminology to describe the difference
properly, but in layman's terms, LaTeX just looks much more polished.
The word spacing on a line is more pleasing to the eye, and even the
letter spacing within words seems more "correct". I also find LaTeX's
default font to be cleaner looking than Word's default font, but i'm not
sure if that is purely a personal preference or if it is objectively
better in some way.

LaTeX works quite well for the really simple use cases that i've used it
for--mostly writing papers for classes with simple formatting and
occasional embedded images. I've never learned enough of it to be really
good at it; just enough so that i didn't have to fight with MS Word
anymore. MS Word is just too hard to use for me, it seems to require a
mental model that i don't quite grasp and so i find it inefficient.
Sure, Word is easy to *learn*; the GUI is discoverable and the help
system is decent. But it is not easy to *use*. LaTeX, like many Unix
applications, is the opposite: hard to learn, but easy to use. Learning
is a finite investment of time and effort, but using it continues on for
the rest of one's life. I'd rather put in some effort learning up front
and then have something easy to use forever, rather than having
something easy to learn but which i struggle to use forever. The overall
effort of things like LaTeX is less. The fact that LaTeX is better at
the basic task of aesthetically laying text out on a page is just icing
on the cake.

In the above i guess you can substitute word processors in general for
my uses of "MS Word". I don't mean to be quite so hard on that piece of
software specifically; all word processors are kind of awkward and hard
to use for me.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 122, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley@example.com