Re: [tlug] Chess is dead (OT)

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Raedwolf Summoner <rarooam@example.com> wrote:
> Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
y online because I have no idea if I am playing the person
> or a computer. Kind of like in the old days playing by mail: you didn't know
> if the person was using a reference book. However, I don't see how anyone
> going to the toilet for a few minutes (unless it is _very_ early in the
> game).

I was more thinking about a tactical phase. When it is a mess on the board, and
calculation is more important than strategy (think of winning in piece
in 5 moves).

About the opening, I am not sure it is so interesting (as we are
supposed to know
the variation we did choose - yes, the 2 players choose the opening).
Computer could be useful in endgame too, as they have full tables for some
configurations, and also because calculation becomes so important, due
to the lack
of material. Try to pose on board a famous chess ending, with a few
pawns, the computer
will go straight to the promotion, in a few seconds; Human (even GM)
could simply fail.

What is interesting, is that 20 years ago everybody was joking about
poor endgames by
computers, and expecting to go to this phase. I guess today champions
will try to avoid this phase at all costs...

> I no longer would offer any competition. Most of the sts have, however, had
> some experience with chess. Actually, a lot more of them than in the past.

Why not, if they enjoy. What I can see is that in Paris area, half
clubs disappeared
in 20 years (including my former one, unfortunately).

> Chess also seems to me to be alive and well. If anything,
> the ability to play a computer at simpler levels has encouraged the practice.

Oh, by the way, maybe my wording was not good. "Dead" was maybe a wrong
translation of the French "mort" (which is slightly different from
"end of life" in usual speaking).

Example: Checkers is dead with my words (you could write a poor
algorithm that would win
any human). However, some people play it happily, so it is not dead per se.
My meaning for "dead" was more "slowly be used/played by less people
over years, until not enough
users/players are significant" (like le "jeu de paume" or "real tennis").

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.