[tlug] Compose key and IME clash?

tl;dr: It seems ibus-mozc stops the compose key working. Details below. :-)

I cannot seem to get the compose key working on my new computer; I'm
wondering if anyone knows of interactions with ibus or IMEs?

I followed the instructions found in various places, for xfce.
I.e. I edited /etc/default/keyboard to add this:
   XKBOPTIONS="compose:lwin"

I also added the toolbar widget called keyboard layouts, and can set the
compose key position from in there.

I suspect one of them is the wrong place, as it is possible to have
different settings in each! And I suspect the toolbar widget is setting
the correct place, as when I change it lwin in there then the previous
function of lwin (to bring up the mint menu) stops working.

But compose itself is not happening (compose l - is the one I use most
often, to get a pound sign, but all I get is "l-"; I've tried a few
others I know, all with same result).

Naturally I've got the IME set to be typing in English, but now I'm
wondering if something is getting in the way, and stopping the key
strokes reaching the compose functionality. (??)

I've also tried setting right-alt key to be the compose key (by changing
in both places). And, yes, I've been restarting X (by logout and login)
after each change. And I've tried typing in at least two different apps.

Aha! I if I go into iBus preferences, input method, and add English
(specifically I added "English - English (UK, extended winkeys)"), and
then select that to be the current IME, *then* the compose key works.

¿¡²

Ubuntu 10.04 (where I used ibus with anthy, IIRC) did not require this.
If anyone can confirm that compose does or does not work with their
current Japanese IME it would be helpful if you could let me know. It
may just be the way I've mis-configured something.
(I'm using ibus 1.5.3, xfce, mint 16)

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
  http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!