Re: [tlug] "How to"

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
> Following our discussions, and different solutions to one problem.
>
> 1- You have 10,000 files, and you want to find duplicates. Sometimes, 1 file
> changes, or you add/remove one, so you want to find the changes quickly (let
> say daily). How?

rsync -HavPS src/ dst/ --dry-run

This is one answer, but for another question :)
The target is not to backup anything (could be another question).

If you don't trust timestamps, add -c
If you want more robust and faster solution, go the FIM-way, use MD5
hashlist that you check against.

> 2- These files have "meta-information" inside (let say date/time), that you
> can extract. how would you do?

depends on the file format; use the command below followed bu
grep/perl with regex matching your dateformat:
* generic - strings
* multimedia - exiftool or exiv2
* most any executable - objdump
* many (incl. office) - file

I was not asking about getting the metadata, but using it.
So you have your 10,000 lines somewhere in memory (if you piped the output). Then?

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.