[tlug] Open Access Journals

Darren Cook writes:

 > To be honest I'm amazed that there are 9000+ journals listed here:
 > http://www.doaj.org/faq
 > I suspect there is a catch, not all of them are fully open, but it is
 > still a good looking trend.

Check how many start with a mention of their "impact rating" and list
of indexes, and then have a list of "related topics and areas covered"
that scrolls off your screen.  And then look at the publication fee
(only if accepted of course).  Most are just scams (at least as of
12-18 months ago they were).

Some of them *are* *very* good indeed.  Often they are run by open
source enthusiasts (or the equivalent in their fields) on a shoestring
budget, but nevertheless have high quality editorial boards and
refereeing.  Nevertheless, caveat author.