Re: [tlug] Wifi hotspot access in Tokyo

David J Iannucci writes:

> So.... I gather I need to pay for a wifi hotspot service if I don't
> wanna trudge around in frustration looking for where the free ones are.
> Found this page, but... does anyone know how up to date it is?

Forget about WiFi hotspots and rent a LTE router. They should be available
at the airport by all MNOs, as well as online, etc. by third parties.
Unless you have a Docomo/AU/Softbank account finding a Wifi that is
available everywhere is nearly impossible. BTW, APs by those companies
achieve little else besides filling up everyone's channels with junk.
Security can be spotty or non-existent with 'free' WiFi, so better to
avoid unless you have a usable VPN, etc.

You can also get a prepaid data-only SIM and use it with your own
equipment. If you have a recent Android device you can use it to tether
laptop, etc. Note that SIMs from MVNOs (b-mobile, IIJ, etc.) are heavily
shaped and latency is usually pretty bad though. Speed varies wildly
during the day.